Monday, December 8, 2008

Changing Impressions--->

When I first arrived in Japan, I was constantly making comparisons about how similar things where here to what I knew back home; the Japanese have the same technology and the same conveniences that we have in the United States. They have the same infatuation with style and clothes, with shopping and with going out and spending money. However, after being here for only 3 short months, I realize now how truly different things are here as well. There is an ancient history here that is lacking for the most part in most American cities. This history is mostly rooted in Shinto and Buddhism, and so it is very easy to find these elements in society no matter where you go. The sports here are different; even baseball is played with different tactics. The food is obviously much different from what I am used to, although I am getting to like it very much (even though I am vegetarian, so it is a little more difficult for me). And the trains- the trains were probably the most difficult thing for me to get used to (other than the language barrier), for we don't have the sort of complex railways and subways that they have here back in the States.   

I am constantly amazed by the fact that within a first world country like Japan, that so much ancient history can still be found here, nestled into the heart of a big city like Osaka and also in the country side which surround these bustling areas. It seems such a stark contrast, however, even in this modern industrial country, the heritage is never lost. That is the one thing that I will always remember about Japan- all areas of the spectrum can be found here, for this country truly is rooted in diversity.      

2 comments:

visual gonthros said...

"...for this country truly is rooted in diversity." Interesting observation - many people wouldn't describe Japan in these terms. But I most certainly agree with you.

Jorge said...

Hi ERIN
Once you get over the first impression, you´ll see that the diferences are much more dramatic when it comes about the japanese people close to your heart (mothers in law...)